Austin Civic Orchestra Opens Season with Musical Mystery
The Austin Civic Orchestra (ACO) opens its 2017-2018 season, Made in America, with a family-friendly concert on Sunday, Sept. 24 at the Austin Independent School District Performing Arts Center.
Starting at 4 p.m., the program includes The Composer is Dead!, a lighthearted “whodunit” musical mystery with narration that teaches children (and adults!) about instruments in the orchestra. Composed by Nathaniel Stookey, the piece is accompanied by text written by Lemony Snicket. Paul Gaffney, a Professor of Theater at Southwestern University, will narrate the piece.
Come early for an instrument “petting zoo,” where people of all ages can explore sounds and play music. The activities begin at 3:15 p.m. in the theatre lobby.
The orchestra will also perform: Outdoor Overture by Aaron Copland; Duke Ellington! arranged by Calvin Custer; and Slava! by Leonard Bernstein.
To celebrate the start of its season, the ACO will not require a ticket for concert entry. Instead, it invites audience members to give whatever amount they deem appropriate for their classical music experience to help support the orchestra’s season. Cash, check and credit cards are accepted; patrons can also donate in advance.
For details on other upcoming concerts and ACO news, visit austincivicorchestra.org.
Phone: (512) 200-2261
Event url: austincivicorchestra.org/event/the-composer-is-dead
1500 Barbara Jordan Blvd
Austin, TX 78723
More Event Ideas
- More Community Events
- Saturday, Jul 7, 1:00 PM
- Thursday, Aug 23, 7:00 PM
- Antonelli's Cheese & Wine Pairing at Fall Creek Vineyards at Driftwood at Fall Creek Vineyards at DriftwoodSunday, Jul 15, 4:00 PM
- More Events at AISD Performing Arts Center
- Austin ISD Presents: Disney's Shakespeare In Love: The Play 07.14 @ 7PM at AISD Performing Arts CenterSaturday, Jul 14, 7:00 PM
- Sunday, Jul 15, 2:00 PM
- Austin ISD Presents: Disney's NEWSIES: The Broadway Musical 07.21 @ 7PM at AISD Performing Arts CenterSaturday, Jul 21, 7:00 PM