Aphra Behn's The Rover
In 1677, poet, translator, libertine, and sometime spy for Charles II, Aphra Behn was the first published professional female playwright in the English language. Her play The Rover, or the Banish’d Cavaliers was wildly popular in the Court, but Behn was dismissed by critics as scandalous, lewd, and morally depraved, due to her frank address of female sexual longing.
The Rover on its surface is a fresh, lighthearted, and remarkably modern sex romp, detailing the amorous adventures of dashing English Cavaliers and a family of brave and beautiful Spanish gentlewomen at Carnival time. Masks and costumes allow these would-be lovers to break out of their everyday lives and play out their fantasies. But just beneath the play's lusty facade, The Rover frees its female characters to kick at the cages of societal demands to be mother, wife, whore, or saint - and bites at unchecked power with shockingly sharp teeth.
The Hidden Room presents this rarely-performed delight through the lens of our favorite feminist-lined naughty entertainment - a few very special teen films of 1983 (with a very noted head bob to Martha Coolidge’s Valley Girl). So if you’re looking for a 1677/1983 mash-up of Restoration/New Romantic proto-feminist sexploitation, complete with swashbuckling sword fights, forbidden romance, masked revelers, and bitchen live music, then pop your ruffled collar and behold Aphra Behn’s The Rover.
Starring: Liz Beckham, Howard Burkett, Gabe Colombo, Kelly Hasandras, Brock England, Joseph Garlock, Jennymarie Jemison, Todd Kassens, Ronan Melomo, Toby Minor, Cesar Osorio, Amber Quick, Justin Scalise, Katy Taylor, Valoneecia Tolbert, Kenneth Williams, Daniel Aguilar, Jennifer Banister, Mark Gerchak, Andreá Smith
THREE WEEKENDS ONLY, Feb 15-March 3rd.
All shows at 8PM, except Sunday performances at 5PM.
Running time 150 minutes.
- PREVIEW PERFORMANCE Friday Feb 15th, 8PM - all tickets 1/2 price!
- VSA NARRATION NIGHT Saturday Feb 16th, 8PM
- PRESS PARTY NIGHT with talkback Sunday Feb 17th, 5PM
- INDUSTRY NIGHT Wednesday Feb 27th, 8PM, always a blast
- NEW WAVE PARTY Thursday Feb 28th, 8PM, $5 of concession tickets when sporting a rad New Wave look!
York Rite Masonic Hall (for most likely our last hurrah in this historic building before it undergoes major renovation)
311 W 7th Street
Austin TX 78701
‘Adsheartlikins, we’re sew shure.
Director: Beth Burns
Asst Director/Dramaturg: Indiia Wilmott
Stage Manager: Allie Van Niman
Asst Stage Manager: Laura Spraggins
Costume Design: Aaron Flynn
Asst Costume Design: Star Maddox
Stitchers: Kelli Bland, Taleena Rasmussen
Music Director: Howard Burkett
Dance Choreography: Kelly Hasandras
Fight Choreography: Adam Miller-Batteau
Prop Master: Marco Noyola
Master of Art: Jennymarie Jemison
Musicians: Howard Burkett, Cesar Osorio, Charlie Tovar
311 W. 7th Street
Austin, TX 78701
More Event Ideas
- More Theater Events
- ACL Live & C3 Presents bring you - Joe Russo's Almost Dead at Austin City Limits Live @ Moody TheaterMonday, Feb 18, 5:00 AM
- SECOND NIGHT ADDED! - ACL Live & C3 Presents bring you - Maggie Rogers - Heard It In A Past Life World Tour - with at Austin City Limits Live @ Moody TheaterMonday, Feb 18, 5:00 AM
- Saturday, Jul 20, 7:30 PM